Nothing brings your cooking to the next level like fresh garden herbs.
We've chosen some of our favorites for you, but we can't wait to hear about your preferred varieties and your favorite ways to use them.
1. Cilantro- Fresh cilantro leaves are a perfect addition when cooking Mexican cuisine. Or you can grind the seeds for coriander spice.
2. Genovese Basil- If you’re crazy about pesto, or many other Italian dishes, this basil is the choice variety with its sweet and spicy flavor.
3. Giant from Italy Parsley- This heirloom herb continuously yields large, flat leaves with a strong, classic parsley flavor.
4. Thyme- This organic herb is perfect for all types of cuisine as a complementary seasoning for both meat and vegetables.
5. Rosemary- This herb grows as a shrub that’s perfect for pot planting. The grey-green leaves promise spicy flavor that’s useful across many dishes.
6. Grandma Einck's Dill- This heirloom herb belonged to our co-founder’s grandmother and is known to fill large spaces with its aromatic and nostalgic scent. It will grow abundantly, making it great for both fresh use and canning.
7. Greek Oregano- This organic oregano variety offers a flavor that is sharper, yet lighter, than classic oregano. This essential herb gives oval leaves of light green.
9. Chives- This organic herb is slightly onion-flavored and is a delicate addition to many recipes. It’s gorgeous pink flowers are edible, too!
10. English Lavender- This classic herb serves appropriately for cutting and drying to preserve its aromatic fragrance and essential oils.
Seed Savers Exchange is a non-profit organization located in Decorah, Iowa, with a mission to conserve and promote America's culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations by collecting, growing, and sharing heirloom seeds and plants.